Author Topic: Linux Mint  (Read 5872 times)

Darkuncle

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
Linux Mint
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »
Been home for a few days now.  Planted garden, played with chickens -well, really just let them out to play with themselves, anyway.

I walked my nephew through the install process today, after moving the Windows crapsta partition.  I am using the system now to post this and
pics on facebook.  I like regular Ubuntu or Kubuntu better, but Mint should be an easy transition for him.

Anybody else use non microcrap on their systems?

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
Re: Linux Mint
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I've got a Mac - I will never own another Microsoft product again.  Ever. 

You just don't know until you get away from it how truly awful it is.  I still can't believe my computer hasn't updated ONCE other than the original day I started it.  Like WTF?  I keep clicking update and it says it's updated.  My f***ed PC would update every second day - LITERALLY! 

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

Darkuncle

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 02:42:51 AM »
I know right!  those updates are so gay.  I think I may be installing this on my dad's computer soon, he gets to ranting like
 Yosemite Sam every time he tries to use his Vista system. 

I think of Microsoft as a marketing company that tries to create software.  Linux is getting easier to use, more GUI and less command
line needed.

I have a friend that works for MS, I give him a lot of crap for it.

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:59 AM »
As of yesterday Apple is worth more than Microsoft.  I suspect in the next ten years people will go "Windows what?".  The Mac system is so easy to learn, and so far it works so damned well I just love it. 

I can't say for sure, but I'm fairly certain I will never buy microsoft s*** again. 

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

poopsiecakes

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
  • cheers!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 05:49:11 AM »
So Shamus, tell me honestly cuz you're being so vague....would you ever buy a windows product again?
"I shouldnt stone text Teddy." Dana - 2013
"I'm so gladiator that you are all smart personals." - Goddess 2013
"And as he died, he s*** himself. And boy did it stink." Jedi death by Faundy, 2017

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:23:16 AM »
I don't see myself ever buying a Micros*** product again...  :dead-horse-fast2: it was the best thing about Vista IMO... it made me see the light and ditch that crap forever.  :th_659813:

Haven't looked at a Linux distro in a few years... I first tried it around 97 then looked at it around 2003... changed a lot in that time and I suspect it's become considerably more user friendly since I last saw it. I can see Linux becoming a viable competitor to Windows in the coming years as well and when that happens look out Micros***... Linux is free.  :wolf6:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
A microsoft computer?  NEVER! 

Darkuncle

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
Brin: Linux has gotten much easier to use over the past decade.  They have Live CDs now, you just boot them and get to play
and try out the look and feel of it, if you like it, then you have the option of installing on your HD.  It can replace windows or
reside side by side on your HD and if you need to you can still boot into Windows to do something.  My first experiences with Linux
were scary command line only installations; scary because I had no clue what I was doing, just piecing stuff together from a manual.

Hellpuppy: Classic Edition

• Guardian of Female Virginity!!!
  • Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »
LoL back in my geek days I was trying Linux
as well as BSD.

I remember clinging with a deathgrip to MS-DOS 5.0 until finally giving
in to Windows 3.1 ;)

Windows 3.1 seemed like a step back for me and I felt like I was regressing when using a GUI.
At the time command lines were more efficient for me.

Sad thing about GUI's is that I feel they create a gap between the user and the computer.  We start to forget how to program and understand the nuts and bolts of computing language. Now we rely on icons that are clickable to automatically run multiple commands and if something goes wrong we uninstall and reinstall.

I've lost pretty much 80% of my computing knowledge due to Microsoft and it's accursed Windows environment :P

"And Hellpuppy is well Hellpuppy. lol  Bad things usually happen when we lynch him and Jedi put a big bullseye on his back. " - Will

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
Kinda know what you mean Hellpup.. I learned using DOS 5.0... still miss it in a lot of ways. I think I learned more from using DOS about computing than anywhere else. And it was sooo reliable... I never saw my computer freeze up unless I'd loaded Windows (started on version 3.0). Most of my problems were solved through writing a simple batch file (anyone else remember those?  :th_computer_smilie:).

Our system at work is about to be updated. It's currently a DOS system about to migrate to a Windows based one. Most are pretty excited about the change but I'm not so sure. The old one... while it can be difficult at times due to the fact you gotta access 3 or 4 different areas just to get the info you're after... works. It works well and has been ultra reliable. The new one... is slow and I've seen it fall down a few times already due to the extra load. It's also java based which means it operates through Internet Exterminator and needs to load 3 different windows just to start. Hopefully they'll get the problems ironed out before we go "live" in around a weeks time.  :th_659813:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
Darkuncle... I've tried a couple of the Live CDs... that was a few years ago though. My favourite distro has to be SuSe IMO... don't really know why, just love that one.  :th_NewPicture15:

I do sometimes get tempted to get a basic notebook just to run Linux... might do that one day still... maybe a netbook... a lot of them come with Linux to begin with.  :th_itchingbutt:

And of course... it should be pretty easy to network it with the Macs... since they're both Unix based.  :th_computer_smilie:

Robin

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
  • EARTH: Too Big To Fail
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »

Can you people speak  English?????

I love my nerds!!!
So many gods, so many creeds,So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind, Is all this sad world needs.
~Ella Wheeler Wilcox~

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:28 AM »
English?  :th_tardscratch:

Darkuncle

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »
I bought a new laptop -Acer Aspire 5532; 4Gig RAM, 180 Gig HD, comes with Win 7; I also installed Linux Mint 9 in a dual boot fashion.  I had a week of trouble trying to
get the built in wireless to work with Linux but finially got it.  I boot into windows less than once a week, and Linux boots by default.  I can read my Windows partition from Linux
 and I do that for a lot of my vacation pics and stuff.

From what little I saw, Win 7 was not too bad, seemed way better than vista.  but it was still too verbose and "nosey" or "chatty" for me.  Plus I was DONE with microsoft anyway.

Hellpuppy: Classic Edition

• Guardian of Female Virginity!!!
  • Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
only thing  I dislike about MS are the daily updates everytime I boot up
"And Hellpuppy is well Hellpuppy. lol  Bad things usually happen when we lynch him and Jedi put a big bullseye on his back. " - Will