Author Topic: The iMac  (Read 2572 times)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
The iMac
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:08:12 PM »
Just bought my first new Mac yesterday. The 2.4Ghz 20" iMac. Loving it so far.  :heart: :rir: Don't know why I persisted with that Windows crap for so long.  :dead-horse-fast2:

I've got two other Macs, a Powermac G4 350Mhz and an eMac G4 800Mhz 17". I've been using at least one every day for over 6 months now and I still don't know what happens if a Mac crashes. They behave perfectly, exactly how I want them too.

Anyone wanna buy a used Vista system?  :face-devil-grin:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

VoidEater

• Werewolfer
  • Start by doing the necessary
    • VoidEater Music
Re: The iMac
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
My oldest daily use Mac is a G4 FireWire 800 1.25 GHz (mirrored doors) - it's still the iTunes library server/sync point for devices and general PhotoShop workhorse.  But the "museum" has a Mac 128 (upgraded to 512 KB - who could ever need more than half a meg RAM?) that still runs - off floppies, mind you!

I would almost give you money to *not* give me the Vista machine.  We have rejected Vista in the office (probably 5,000 desktops across the organization) in favor of downgrading to XP on new machines.

Congrats on the new iMac!  May it provide years of stable performance - and total coolness.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:31:30 AM »
Hee hee, looks like I will sell the Vista system. I have it on an auction website (not ebay) and it's getting bids.... suckers.  :coffeespit:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

VoidEater

• Werewolfer
  • Start by doing the necessary
    • VoidEater Music
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:36 AM »
If I may ask, what are your primary applications?  I suspect graphics must be in there, considering the brilliant wolf-morph avatar you had game before last.

I haven't upgraded to any of the CS versions of Adobe products, so currently my only PhotoShop install is on the G4 (which has Tiger - if I'm remembering all the cat names right).  My old versions of Adobe won't run on Leopard.

For recording, I am still so very impressed with GarageBand - especially at the price.

I've been running the first version of Office X, which MS still updates, for Word and Excel.  But the low cost of iWork makes it an attractive investment - and Keynote just blows PowerPoint out of the water (ease of use, impressive results).

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
I've got Photoshop Elements, but I do use a lot of open source software too. I like The Gimp, OpenOffice (better than MS Office IMO). Still new to Macs so still getting familiar with the software available for them. I've just ordered Roxio Toast 9 for DVD burning (with the money I made from selling the Vista system  :face-devil-grin:).

Very impressed with what you get in the Mac OS too, not near as many extras needed as with Windows.