login

Author Topic: macbook or macbook pro  (Read 3791 times)

deeskis

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
macbook or macbook pro
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »
need to pick the brains of some mac devotees :)

my daughter wants to get a macbook to take to Japan with her.  She does a lot of graphic design -  adobe premier.  will be doing video editing of some movie footage while she's away.  So we looked on the apple site and thought the macbook pro is probably the choice because it has video memory??don't really know what that is though.

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro

so if she gets the mac,  how much ram and what specs do you reckon she needs to do video editing.  ???
Just call me Fred!!

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
Re: macbook or macbook pro
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
Is she going to be using the notebook for 3d or 2d? Also, it's much cheaper to buy the RAM seperately than it is to get it through Apple (*whispers* Apple use Samsung brand memory).
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

deeskis

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
I'll ask her (not sure wtf you're asking!!)
she's out just now.

and thanks for the tip on RAM,  we noticed it was a lot more expensive than ram we've bought for the other laptop.

but would that affect the warranty having the ram added separately?
Just call me Fred!!

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »
Won't affect the warranty as RAM is a user upgradeable component (so is the hard drive) both are accessible through panels so you don't need to open the notebook up (which is what voids the warranty).

Looking at the two, the Pro does have a better build quality than the macbook (which is just plastic and from what I understand, discolours rather easily). The 2GB that comes with the Pro would do, but when I got my iMac (which uses the same RAM) I got 4GB of Samsung RAM off Ebay for $150. Which was quite the bargain considering I got my iMac for $150 cheaper than the ticket price.  :frolic:

The video memory, meaning it has a dedicated graphics chip isn't that much of an advantage when you're working with 2D. Though, it doesn't hurt either.
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

deeskis

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
thanks Brin

She says she's doing 2d, so what you've told me has been a good help.  You got a good deal on your mac, did you get it online, or somewhere over your way?
Just call me Fred!!

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
I bought it locally. The store had the new models and an older one on clearance for $150 cheaper. I asked about the older one (but thinking I really should spend the extra and buy the new model), sales assistant's face sunk and told me that was their last model and he'd have to re-pack it in it's box and they were really busy. Could he just sell me the new model for the same price instead? "Oh, OK" I said.  :th_angelic: