Author Topic: Pros/Cons of Windows  (Read 4099 times)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
Pros/Cons of Windows
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:47:33 AM »
What are the pros/cons of having a Windows sytem versus a Mac or Linux sytem?
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

VoidEater

• Werewolfer
  • Start by doing the necessary
    • VoidEater Music
Re: Pros/Cons of Windows
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 03:41:49 AM »
The obvious ones (I'm not being particularly brilliant, but the thread looked lonely):

Pro for Win:
It's ubiquitous - everywhere in the business world.
It will run on a Mac host in a virtual machine.
Lots of people are familiar (if not completely happy) with it.
Gobs of programs written for it.

Con for Win:
It's bloated and slow.
It' buggy and security-flawed by comparison to Mac OS.
It is less intuitive for new users (though some OS X apps have lost some simplicity).
The look and feel forgot the "less is more" aesthetic - cluttered, tinfoil, fanboy.
OS and basic apps too expensive - and too many OS options.
Onerous licensing process for OS.
MS benefited from oppressive business tactics and shouldn't be rewarded unduly.
Clippy.

Plus: Wintel hardware is just generally not as cool as Mac hardware.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:09:28 PM »
The biggest proverbial pain in the arse... product activation.  :thsmiley_freakout:

Everytime you re-boot it wants to update itself (seriously, what's with that?  :funky4:)

Not much is included (not what's useful anyway) and you're left having to install a lot of extras just to get basic functions (like viewing a pdf file).

Font handling system is still virtually the same as in the days of 3.1.

Vista has so much security that it's now very difficult to even transfer files across your own network (though still not at all immune to hackers).   :endoftheworld-1:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
It seems funny to turn on my computer and not have it habitually updating with the latest security update. 

My mac is gorgeous! :th_drbble:  I'm hooked - I'd never recommend a PC to anyone ever again. 

(kisses macbook again...)

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »
I'm still amazed at the frequency of updates for the Mac... plus they also allow ISP's to upload the files onto their own servers and in turn... count them as "free traffic" (something which Micros*** refuses to do). When I had ADSL... my provider had all the Mac updates... simply got them off their server instead of Mac's and they didn't count towards my monthly downloads at all.  :th_kopje-koffie-1:

Oh yeah... and I still can't get over that I'm running an OS that was installed nearly 2 years ago... has never crashed and still boots as quickly as the day I got this computer. Did I mention that I love my Mac?  :th_drbble:

*gives her iMac another cuddle and whispers "I love you"*

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
I never knew computers could be so fun and so cool, Brin. 

Thanks to you guys - you kinda tipped me in favour of my mac, and I'm so happy with it.  (just shorted my keyboard out drooling on it)

:th_drbble:

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)