login

Author Topic: Help  (Read 2422 times)

William

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
Help
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »
I just installed McAfee virus protection and my computer is now running very slow and sluggish.

Does anyone know how it can be fixed to speed up again?  I swear sometimes I think the virus programs cause more trouble than they prevent.   :th_lousyputer_smilie:

Maybe I should pay the Time Warner bill.  lol

William

• Werewolfer
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
Sloooowly I turn...
inch...
by inch....

IT'S MADDENING!
 :th_pullhair:

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
Just reading up on McAfee and it appears to have a lot of critics due to performance issues... Avast gets the thumbs up a lot...

http://computerlearnhow.com/did-you-know-you-can-get-good-free-anti-virus-software/
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

William

• Werewolfer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
I'll check that out later Brin, thanks!

Ima take the girls for a run in the park now.

Mikey

• Werewolfer
  • Clowns Suck
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
AVG free is also pretty good.
"Look at the flowers Lizzy"

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 09:43:34 AM »
I used McAfee on my last computer, and yes it was a pain in the butt. On my current computer I use MSE and am happy with it. I too have heard good things about Avast.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage

Dana

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
You may have to call Thomas. 

:th_drbble: :th_yonofui:
SHUT IT!! The last time you said that it went tits up real quick. ---Poopsie, Planet of the Apes, 2013.

If we win the lottery, we gonna be fat, drunk and dead.--Mikey, My Couch,  2015.

William

• Werewolfer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »
I should but he'll just think Ima using him for his geekyishness.  He's so smart.  And handsome.  And married.  And fun.  :wolf6:

I miss Thomas and time flies for everyone.

Plus I paid $49.99 for the privilege of land line speed.  At least I am safe again from the internet boogey man.  I ran this machine for 3 years with no virus protection at all.  I ran Malewarebytes for free when the hot news recently was internet armageddon and it found over 1000 threats!  So I went back to McAfee and now I am running at a snails pace. 

zeroday

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:48 AM »
Try resetting it to a restore point before you installed the software...if that doesn't work smash it and get an iMac...
"God I'm glad I'm not responsible for this blood bath." Robin, Vikings 2015

Dana

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
I had this problem  not long ago.  Check out bleepingcomputer or geekstogo

I had updated my AVG and somehow the old version didn't get deleted so I had battling anti-virus protection.  I couldn't even get online at all.
SHUT IT!! The last time you said that it went tits up real quick. ---Poopsie, Planet of the Apes, 2013.

If we win the lottery, we gonna be fat, drunk and dead.--Mikey, My Couch,  2015.

William

• Werewolfer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
The McAffe made me remove the Malwarebytes program before it installed.

Who knows?  I'd switch to the Iphone but I am blind as a bat and the screen is so small.

I mean these towers are already history. lol

Jedi Master

• Master of Mind Tricks
  • Werewolfer
  • His Worshipfulness
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
McAffee, Norton and Kaspersky are the worst!!  It's probably faster if you deal with the viruses...  :th_Colere_18:

Avast, AVG and Microsoft Essentials are all pretty good.  The only real difference between paying for anti-virus vs getting a free one off the internet, is that the one you pay for can go into your computer and check for viruses that might have gotten past it.  Free ones off the internet don't do that, they just block the entrance.  So as long as you're not downloading stuff like crazy you should be ok.  ;)
"If it's Jedi, I think I might jump out the window." - Nameless 
"Shit I can't be wrong after nine months!" " If I had a gun I'd shoot you tonight.  ;)" - Will
"I stopped listening to you years ago." - Dana 2015

Bumble Bee

• Ethical Slut
  • Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 06:43:40 AM »
I have used Avast, and found it pretty good, except it took forever to load as it checks for updates each time you turn on the computer and the voice at the beginning always scared the crap out of me when it decided to let me know it was updated. 

I'm running AdAware right now.   You could also run CCleaner to clean up your computer then do a defrag to see if it will run a bit faster, and clear your cache as well. 

Most virus are pretty easy to remove with a few internet tools if you get one.  I keep combofix loaded on my computer just in case. 
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes