login

Author Topic: "Australia"  (Read 2152 times)

changeling

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
"Australia"
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
Just got back from seeing the movie. It was wonderful!!! Very long, but wonderful! And all set in the Northern Territories! Brinjen, I thought of you all through the movie. What a beautiful homeland you have!
The little aboriginal boy who was in the movie is gorgeous!
I knew of the 'assimilation' program that went on, but did not realize how long it lasted (1973), what an awful thing.
And I absolutely did not know that the Japaneses attacked Australia during WWII.
Everybody: go see this movie!
"I will not calm down!"  - Hermione Granger

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
Re: "Australia"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:01:03 PM »
Some of the movie was made right here in Darwin. Stokes Hill Wharf was the main location.  :wolf2:

Little trivia... Darwin was first raided on Feb 19th, 1942 by 188 Japanese planes. At least 243 people died that day and the number would have been much higher if it were not for the evacuations during Dec/Jan when most of the civilian population left Darwin. In all, more than 683 bombs were dropped on Darwin on that day alone, compared to 271 on Pearl Harbor.

There were a total of 64 air raids on Darwin, the last being on 12th November 1943. Other towns were bombed too, including Broome, Katherine and Milingimbi.

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/darwinbombing/

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 04:01:41 PM by Brinjen »
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
A brief history of Darwin... you just gotta get past the crappy music for the first 20 odd seconds.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xFdVRjO2rek
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

deeskis

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 09:18:26 PM »
I'm going to go see it this weekend :th_wow:
Just call me Fred!!

Tara

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
  • SweetBitch
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:17:00 AM »
I was going to see it this coming weekend, but have my little brother staying here, so I have to wait til Monday to see it. I can't wait. It looks so good.
Brinjen, my dad spent time in Australia during the war (WWII). I don't know exactly what he did there. He was a paratrooper in the Army.
After he died I got a very nice letter from the wife of an Australian soldier (who had died before my dad) he had made friends with and kept in touch with afterwards. I can't remember the town where she was located, but they had a snake farm!
Forgiveness is the scent of the violet that clings to the heel of the one who has crushed it. ~ http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/30/violet-forgive/

gz

• Daily Ritual
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »
I want to see this so bad. I wanted to go with my daughter this weekend... but it didn't get to. I watched the director on Charlie Rose talking about the movie. The aboriginal boy is just amazing... how he became an actor and just went back to his same simple  lifestyle after the movie. He is adorable.

SL

• Hopelessly Addicted
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:36 AM »
I've been looking forward to seeing this film. Can't wait!

Str8?

• Queen Of Queens
  • Werewolfer
  • Hopelessly Addicted
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:12:25 AM »
I can't decide if I want to see it or not....  :th_itchingbutt:
I am a weapon of massive consumption, but its not my fault, its how I'm programmed to function.

changeling

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
Robbie, don't you at least want to see Hugh Jackman w/o his shirt on? :th_wow:
"I will not calm down!"  - Hermione Granger

deeskis

• Werewolfer
  • Wonder Geek
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 09:19:46 PM »
didn't get to see it yet,  had too much wine at my daughters farewell lunch and fell asleep in the afternoon so didn't get down to the movies!
Just call me Fred!!