Author Topic: Forum's Speed...  (Read 7490 times)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
Forum's Speed...
« on: April 10, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
I'm currently going through a few options here as I realise the forum isn't going at a very viable speed for quite a few here. Some of the options include...

Staying with my current provider and upping the plan... not sure if this will change anything... only very loosely considering this one.

Staying with my current provider and moving the site to what's call a 'Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting plan. This allows the site to have two dedicated IP address (currently sharing with several other sites) as well as gives me the ability to manage the Operating System myself.

Another is to move to another provider (considering going back WestNet Hosting, was with them briefly year before last). The only reason I moved was I could see their plans not suiting this forum before very long but that issue has since been rectified and you can now customise your own plan. This is the one I'm considering the most as I've always been a very happy customer of WestNet and have found their service to be the best (probably, no doubt that's why they wipe the floor with their competition every year when the magazines publish the results of their surveys on 'Best Communications Provider').

If all those having issues could let me know what they are (site loading slower than a snail on valium etc) I'll figure out the best way to go about this.

Thanx!  :th_smilie_love_366:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Hellpuppy: Classic Edition

• Guardian of Female Virginity!!!
  • Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
  • RAWR!!!!
Re: Forum's Speed...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
I blame my iPhone ;)
"And Hellpuppy is well Hellpuppy. lol  Bad things usually happen when we lynch him and Jedi put a big bullseye on his back. " - Will

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Brin, when I have speed issues with the site, it usually doesn't last very long. There have been a few occasions where it has been slow for like an hour, but mostly when it happens to me it's only for a few minutes then goes back to normal.

Not sure how helpful that is, probably not very lol. I know others have had bigger problems with the speed, but for me it's usually only a matter of a few minutes. Also, I've noticed it often happens around the same time of day (late afternoon for me, early morning for you). But again, for me it hasn't been a real problem.

***Edit, something new did just happen now -- I got the warning that a new post had been made (Pup's post), but I couldn't see the new post. Interesting.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:46:50 PM by nameless »
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:37 PM »
Few minutes... that sounds like the daily maintenance the provider would be doing to the server...  :th_computer_smilie:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
And if it's that, then for me at least the speed issues are rare and negligible.

I don't have great connection either, DSL via AT&T.

I know some have problems with the smilies loading, but we have LOTS of smilies here and it seems that could be slow regardless of the provider? I dunno though.

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
No problems up here in Canada, eh!   :th_pcwhack:

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
The smileys is something I would love to address... would still like to get the 'Smiley Pops' mod working again (where they were in seperate categories and didn't all try to load at once). That's what I was trying to do before when the forum went into maintenance mode and I had to manually take it out of it.  :blushing:

I hear the mod works well with version 2.0 of SMF but not sure when that will be released and it appears that those who are developing it don't know either (current talk is it will be ready when they're happy that it's reliable enough).

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
I remember that! When they were in more separate boxes that could be brought up. Wow I'd forgotten about that.

Not sure what the answer is if the speed problems people are experiencing are solely related to the smilies. We can't get rid of any smilies :tantie: so that's not an option lol.

Maybe when more people chime in with the issues they experience, there will be a better idea of how to proceed. If it turns out that the only real speed issues ANYONE has is related to the smilies, then maybe you won't need to think about changing providers at all.

How expensive is all of this?

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »
Web hosting isn't expensive, software is free... all up this is a very cheap board to run.  :th_smilie_sg_003:

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
Woohoo! I think I just did it! I got the Smiley Pops mod working again!  :th_bf-gitarkid: Now I just gotta set it up...  :th_computer_smilie:

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
Yep, it's working.  :th_eatcookiehy8: It will take me a while to get them set up into groups again, but once it's done, you won't have every smiley trying to load as soon as you hit 'reply'.  :th_kopje-koffie-1:

• Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »
I'm rather fond of the smileys ;)
"And Hellpuppy is well Hellpuppy. lol  Bad things usually happen when we lynch him and Jedi put a big bullseye on his back. " - Will

• Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »
I hope the popup things are compatible with smartphones ;)

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »
Pup it's the same thing as the [more] box we've always had to see more smilies. I see Brin has some new ones set up now :th_smilie_sg_003: Try it and see if it works with your smartphone.

I have only a dumbphone ROFLMAO

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 03:56:28 PM »
There's some there now... same deal as the 'more' popup except you can have as many as you like.  :th_eatcookiehy8:

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 03:57:13 PM »
Should add that only the Werewolf and Naughty groups have any smilies in them at the moment...  popcorn

• Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »
Test

:ridendoggie: :ridendoggie: :wolf6: :wolf6: :wolf6:

Woohoo they are cmpatible!!!!

Can you keep wolf6 on the main smiley page though? ;) lol clicking on the category makes my phone open up a new window ;)

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »
I love it!!   :th_vampiresmile:

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »
Test

:ridendoggie: :ridendoggie: :wolf6: :wolf6: :wolf6:

Woohoo they are cmpatible!!!!

Can you keep wolf6 on the main smiley page though? ;) lol clicking on the category makes my phone open up a new window ;)

Done!  :th_computer_smilie:

• Werewolfer
  • RAWR!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
  :face-monkey: :face-monkey: :face-monkey:

I love you brin ;). *slurps your head*