Author Topic: Windows 8...  (Read 6406 times)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
Windows 8...
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:14:04 PM »
Just installed it.  :th_itchingbutt:  Quite liking it so far... anyone else upgraded yet?  :th_kopje-koffie-1:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Mikey

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
  • Clowns Suck
Re: Windows 8...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:43 AM »
Just installed it.  :th_itchingbutt:  Quite liking it so far... anyone else upgraded yet?  :th_kopje-koffie-1:

I really wouldn't know the difference if it ran up and bit me on the butt.  :th_itchingbutt:

I can barely use what i've got now. :th_yonofui:
"Look at the flowers Lizzy"

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 04:54:13 AM »
Nope.  Will be on 7 until the software makes me upgrade.  ;-)

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:08:58 AM »
I've heard horrible things about Win8!

I'll keep Win7 until I'm forced to upgrade. Windows seems to go in a cycle of alternating between awful and good. Every other release seems to suck. XP was good, Vista sucked, Win7 was good, so that doesn't bode well for Win8 lol.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage

zeroday

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:24:32 AM »
I tried to but my iMac said "WTF"...
"God I'm glad I'm not responsible for this blood bath." Robin, Vikings 2015

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
NAMELESS!!! Why didn't you warn me!!!!  :overacting:

Actually, the last time I was this much of an early adopter was Vista...  :th_4e087jd:

The interface takes some getting used to... but worth it. So far my 1.6Ghz dual core notebook is chugging along with the upgrade quite well. I've been able to ditch the annoying software that came with my 3G modem and now it connects automatically on every boot without me intervening... that software was also freezing halfway through loading under Win7. Gone now... much simpler.  :th_kopje-koffie-1:
Brinjen, first of her name, graduate of the Federation, master of the Wacom, spoiler of useful habits.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
I'll say another thing I've found with Win8. It detected my internet connection was a "metered connection" so it immediately stopped any automatic downloads. I've adjusted it so the updates are downloaded after 12pm only (I have an 8GB off peak allowance... midnight to 7am) so that should take care it.  :th_computer_smilie:

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
I'm sorry lol :biglaugh:

Actually, most of the horrible stuff I've heard was about the interface, so if you're liking the interface, it will probably be fine.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
I guess I'm a bit more used to the interface after using Macs for 4 years.  :th_itchingbutt:  Different... but logical in a weird sort of way.

Most of the right click functions are still there... just clicking around on my screen to see what happens. Move the cursor to where the 'Start' button used to be and you'll get a link to the Menu screen. Right click on that and you get a menu with shortcuts to the Desktop, Control Panel, File Manager, Command Prompt, Device Manager, Run etc... It's just different. Everything appears hidden but it's just as accessible as it was previously.

Windows has largely remained on a similar interface since 95... I still remember the backlash Microsoft got over that version. It was radical compared to the previous 3.11. Now with so many touch type devices out there (smart phones, net tablets etc) Microsoft is trying to get their piece of the pie. Not sure if they'll succeed... they're clearly not the top dog anymore and they've not only got the iOS to compete with but Android as well...  :shifty_eyes:

Snuggles

• >:O
  • Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
  • How big is a monkeys penis???
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
I have wondoze 7 and it sucks.  >:O

Brinjen, how could you!!!!  How could you blaspheme the Mac. 

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

zeroday

• Werewolfer
  • Geek
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »
MAY STEVE JOBS SMITE YOU TO HELL...
"God I'm glad I'm not responsible for this blood bath." Robin, Vikings 2015

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 02:23:05 PM »
MAY STEVE JOBS SMITE YOU TO HELL...

BURN HER!!!!!!

Babies don't have teeth. So what would happen? They could try to, umm, gum their victims to death. Maybe Judith has new teeth coming in (Nameless)

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
 :th_peek3:

Mikey

• Werewolfer
  • Clowns Suck
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
"Look at the flowers Lizzy"

William

• Werewolfer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »
Why is it that when I finally get used to something they "Improve" it?  It drives me f***ing crazy.

Just like "New and Improved" anything.  They basically admit you've been buying crap all along.

When I was in school they would come out with updated text books.  Most of the time they just moved the chapters around a little but you HAD to have the latest editions.  It was just a way for the publishers to make money.

What "new" features does Windows 8 have that are not available in Windows 7?  I'm like Mikey.  I barely use all the crap that I have now.  Why do I need more?

I'll stick with what I have until such time as I am required to upgrade.

Brinjen

• Aussie Bitch
  • Administrator
  • I Like Owls
    • Brinjen
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
Hee hee... I bought this notebook back in June so I was eligible for the $14.99 upgrade and I took it. My desktop (which is sitting in storage up in Darwin) is also eligible for that upgrade.  :th_itchingbutt:

I figured since I can get it so cheap I may as well... I can go back to Win7 for the time being if I like... but I'll leave Win8 on since it's working well. Photoshop Elements runs the same... so has pretty much everything else I've tried. Performance wise I'd say it's on par with Win7... some things are a little faster but not by much. The bottom line though is this way I don't have to worry about if I'm forced to upgrade down the track... I've now got a license for this system to use either 7 or 8.  :th_kopje-koffie-1:

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 12:18:32 AM »

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 03:14:08 AM »
Are you f***ing kidding me???? This f***ing computer forgot my pro get!!!! What in the living f***!!!!!

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 03:15:24 AM »
Now it's installing f***ing updates !!!!!  Fuck off!  I just re started the f***ing thing!!!!

It took less time to install my booster than to print!!!

Snuggles

• Werewolfer
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 03:16:12 AM »
Fucking start!!!!!