Author Topic: Sacred Gold...  (Read 4524 times)

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
Re: Sacred Gold...
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Okay, JD posted in a different thread (that I can't find right now) that that link was also cutting off the pages for him. Which is very interesting and suggests to me (I could be wrong) that Brin can stop pulling her hair out trying to adjust the spammer settings here, and that this is likely a combination of something about SMF and something about the specific machines that are trying to connect.

When it happens, is the forum taking a long time trying to connect and eventually timing out and just not able to complete loading the page? Or does it load pretty quickly, just with the bottom cut off?

I have spent a long time poring through that SMF help forum and could not find a single post describing this same problem. Maybe if we (meaning Brin :tongue_smile:) start a thread there asking about it, they might know what's causing it? The fact that it's happening there too, and not just here, is a really big clue. I just don't know what the clue actually means lol.

This is another forum I read that is also SMF: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/ Is the same thing happening there too?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" ~ Adam Savage

john doe

• Werewolfer
  • All My Friends Live Here
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
I should have been more clear.  The page on *this* site that had the link was cut off, and I couldn't get to the link to even try it.

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
Oh, well that changes everything. Next time you go to work(or are you at work now?), could you write it down and try it?

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
I doubt I'll keep the paper.  :P.   I'll start another thread though, and hopefully if it's the first post it will show up.

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 10:10:30 AM »
I mean write down the link to the other forum, so you can just type it into your browser at work if you're not able to access it here.

**edit, nevermind, I see what you're saying.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:11:10 AM by Nameless »

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
That's why I said I'd probably lose the paper.   :P

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:10 AM »
Did you see my question above about whether the connection take forever and just stalls out, or whether it loads quickly but is just cut off?

In looking through that SMF help forum, I saw a number of issues about slow loading, but nothing about pages being cut off. Even if you're not having the same problem there, they might have ideas about what's causing it.

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:33 AM »
Sometimes it immediately comes back with a "server connection refused," and sometimes it loads slow.  When it's cut off, it can go either way.  I just quits with errors on the page.  Not a slow loading issue.

Nameless

• Global Moderator
  • I Like Owls
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
Okay the "server connection refused" bit is odd. Not sure what you mean by this part:

When it's cut off, it can go either way.  I just quits with errors on the page.

Are you getting some kind of specific error message when it cuts off as well, or do you just mean the page is messed up? Next time it happens, please make note of the wording of any error message(s), as that's a big clue too.

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:39 AM »
Page is messed up.  Like, it stops loading anything at all and just quits.  Never displays the reply box.  Never displays all the graphics.   But goes to this non display stage quickly.  Sometimes it can take a while (like a time out), and sometimes it doesn't.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:41:11 AM by john doe »

john doe

• Werewolfer
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
Too bad I don't have a phone with a camera on it, or I'd just take a picture.  lol